We all tend to overindulge this time of year. Sometimes family members think the pets need “treats” at this time of year. Dishing out foods from their plates or cookies or other treats can cause stomach upset or even worse, pancreatitis. Turkey, ham and other fatty foods are large contributors to pets having to be hospitalized over the holidays. Signs of pancreatitis are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression
  • Tender abdomen/ Arching of back
  • Anorexia

To control this you can give your guests pre approved treats that your pet usually gets.
If you would like to be really festive you can mix some of your pet’s regular food with water to create a “dough” roll out and cut into shapes, then bake until crunchy.

Another trick you can try is cooking up some chicken or white fish, place pet’s kibble in a Ziploc baggie in the fridge overnight with the chicken or fish. The kibble takes on the flavour of the chicken and your pet thinks it’s getting something extra tasty.

Chocolate is very toxic and can be fatal to pets. It may be mistakenly given as treats or consumed by canines who seek it out on counter tops. Theobromine is the toxic compound found in chocolate. Signs which may appear within 1-4 hours of eating chocolate include:

  • vomiting
  • increased thirst
  • diarrhea
  • weakness
  • difficulty keep balance
  • hyperexcitability
  • muscle spasm, seizures, coma
  • death from abnormal heart rhythm

The toxicity of chocolate depends on the amount and type of chocolate ingested;

  • Source Potential toxic dose (44 lb dog)
  • Unsweetened cocoa 3oz
  • Baking chocolate 5oz
  • Semisweet chocolate 7oz
  • Milk chocolate 20oz

Please call your veterinarian immediately if there is any suspicion of pancreatitis or chocolate ingestion.